Curtis and Mary came over. Their two sons, and a fiancée, tagged along when they found out there was pie at our house. Everybody said they liked this pie - and not one crumb was left over. I loved it. This is one I would make again "on purpose".
The only thing that could have improved this pie would be a scoop of vanilla ice cream Sadly, we had none on hand....and it's Sunday....
Here's how to make this - it's an easy one!
SPRING MIX PIE
Pastry for double crust pie
3 apples, peeled and chopped
8 oz fresh strawberries, chopped
2 large stalks rhubarb, chopped
1 large orange
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
- Combine the chopped apples, strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl. Add the sugar and flour. Squeeze the juice of the orange into the bowl. Stir to combine. Let this mixture sit while you prepare the pastry.
- Roll out bottom crust and place in pie pan, pour fruit mixture into the pan. Top with rolled out top crust. Brush ice water onto the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 425* oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350* and bake for 35 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and the fruit is tender.
- Let cool for half an hour or so before serving.