Apple and Peaches Pie
Pie dough for double crust pie
5 or 6 apples, peeled and sliced thin
4 or 5 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (thicker than the apples)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch (use less if your peaches aren't really ripe and juicy)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - I like to use it freshly grated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla - I prefer Mexican vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
- Line a deep pie dish with pastry. Roll out the dough for the top crust. Set both aside.
- Mix together the fruit and add the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and vanilla. Set this aside to juice while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and dot with small chunks of the butter.
- Put on the top crust, flute the edges, and cut vents.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake another 35 minutes.
- Let cool for at least an hour before serving warm with ice cream.