Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Asparagus Pie

Asparagus season is almost over, and I can't believe I've neglected to post this yummy asparagus pie recipe!  In March I went to California to visit my lovely daughter Cara and her family, and got my issue of Sunset magazine (the April 2011 issue) in the mail the day I left.  So I took the magazine along to read on the airplane.  This recipe looked great, so we made it during my visit.  It was delicious - and is perfect for either a main course or side dish.


In the magazine, this is made as a tart in a rectangular dish.  Cara didn't have one of those so we made it in a regular pie pan.  If you have a square or rectangular dish to make this in, definitely use it because the asparagus looks petty lined up in it - I just did the best I could with the round pan.  Here's the recipe as given in Sunset magazine:

Asparagus and teleme tart

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Unroll 1 sheet refrigerated pie dough and fold in half (I made pastry for a single crust pie from scratch).  Roll into a 6-by-16-in rectangle.  Fit into a 4-by-14-in rectangular tart pan (Tart can be made in a 9-in round tart pan, don't roll out dough, and cut asparagus to fit). Press dough against sides, and roll over the top with a rolling pin, save scraps for another use.  Prick bottom of crust with a fork and bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Line tart with 8 oz. thinly sliced teleme cheese or whole-milk mozzarella (not fresh or water-packed).
  • Trim ends from 1 lb. asparagus; cut into 3-1/2-in pieces.  Toss with 1/2 tsp. olive oil.  Arrange crosswise over cheese, tightly packed.  Bake until cheese melts, 15 minutes.
  • Sprinkle generously with pepper.

1 comment:

Material Mary said...

Wow, that looks yummy-o. My mom's cousin told me at the retreat that your blog is one she definately checks out!!
Mary