Mexican Wedding Cakes/Russian Teacakes
As always, please use "real" ingredients in these cookies. Real butter and real vanilla. It makes such a difference in the quality of the finished product!
1 cup butter, softened (it is important that the butter be softened)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 -1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (I have always used walnuts, but you can use any kind of nuts)
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Mix the butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla with a mixer. Stir in the flour, nuts and salt and beat until the dough holds together somewhat. It will look mostly crumbly but should hold together when you squeeze a ball of dough.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. You will probably need to work each ball in your hands a little to get the dough holding together well. Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are set but not brown. However, be careful not to undercook the cookies or they may crumble when you try to remove them from the cookie sheet.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes.
- Roll the warm cookies in powdered sugar, then let cool another 5 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar again.
Makes about 30 cookies.