Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Comfort food - Butterscotch Pie


One Sunday we had the urge to have friends over for pie, so I scoured the pantry looking for ideas.  Since this was an unplanned pie occasion I didn't have anything special on hand but I did have all the staples.  Since I had some brown sugar I thought it would be fun to try a butterscotch pie.    This pie was sweet, smooth and rich, just right for a cold winter day.  My 9 year-old son was especially fond of this one, and gave it several "thumbs up".

Butterscotch Pie


9" baked pie crust


3/4 packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2-3/4 cup milk
3 egg  yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sweetened whipped cream



  • Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan.  Whisk in the milk and egg yolks and cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken and boil.  Boil and stir for one minute.  
  • Remove from heat and whick in the butter a teaspoon at a time, and the vanilla.  Whisk until smooth.  
  • Pour the filling into the pie shell and smooth the top with a spoon.  Press a piece of plastic wrap over the filling to prevent a skin from forming.  Refrigerate for at least several hours.
  • Top with sweetened whipped cream.


1 comment:

Material Mary said...

delicious indeed--one of my favorites!!
Mary