Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blueberry muffins


Bright and early this morning we picked up our produce basket, and a case of blueberries.  I'm not completely sure what I was thinking when I ordered all those berries, but I was blinded by the "good price".  So as soon as we got home I made blueberry muffins and they were definitely a great way to start a Saturday.  I will obviously be making blueberry pie, then freezing a bunch of berries.  Stay tuned for more blueberry goodies....and in the meantime try these muffins.  They are the easiest thing to make and really yummy.

Blueberry Muffins


1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (may use all one kind of flour)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg
1/2 cup milk


1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and well drained or 3/4 cup canned blueberries, rinsed and well drained


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Mix together all ingredients except the berries with a pastry blender or large fork.  Stir only until the ingredients are blended, do not over-mix.  Fold in the berries.  Put into 12 greased or lined muffin cups.


Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown.  Serve hot with butter.

1 comment:

Material Mary said...

Wow--I want one. I have some blueberries in the freezer...gonna have to try these!!
Mary