Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

In a pickle

I belong to a produce co-op, which is a lot of fun and gets more fruits and veggies into our house.  I never know what we'll be getting.  Most of the fruit in the Fruits of the Forest pie came from the food co-op, so you can see that we get some nice variety.  Last week my basket included a bunch of cucumbers.  My family is not a big cuke eating crowd so I decided to try my hand at making some pickles for the first time.  I had to go out and buy some jars, and figured I'd get 2 or  3 jars of pickles out of this pile of cucumbers. I chose a recipe for sliced sandwich pickles that could be done within an hour...that's what fits into my schedule.  Well, somehow once they are sliced the cukes sort of shrunk or something - and they all fit into ONE pint jar!  I went ahead and made the liquid and poured it in the jar and processed that lonely jar.  My first pickles! I don't know what they'll taste like but they look kind of nice, and were easy to make.

3 comments:

cara lou said...

Haha! So funny! How long does it take for them to pickle? I want to know how they turn out!

Material Mary said...

way to go--you preserved the cukes and got pickles!!
Mary

Alissa said...

They only had to process for 15 minutes - I don't know if they would be all pickled now or if they have to hang out in the jar for a while. The directions didn't say anything about that so I guess they really are pickles already. I'll break them out when we can have a cookout.