Fruits of the Forest Pie
1 double-crust recipe of pie pastry (for deep dish pie pan)
2 peaches or one small can of sliced peaches, sliced more thinly
1 pear, peeled and sliced
1 apple, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup pineapple, fresh or canned chunks (I used fresh! Yummy!)
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Prepare the pastry and line a deep dish pan with pastry.
- In a large bowl combine the fruit with 1/2 cup sugar and the lemon juice and spices. Set aside for about 10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the remaining 3 tablespoons fo sugar and the cornstarch together in a small bowl, then stir into the mixture of fruit.
- Pour the fruit into the pastry-lined pie pan and top with pastry. Flute the edges and cut vents into the top pastry. I like to brush the top with ice water (left over from making the pastry) then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie for 30 minutes. Then turn the temperature down to 375 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes more.
- Let cool a little before serving, or serve at room temperature.