Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Rhubarb Oat Bars

Today I start with an apology:  Sorry I have no picture of this yummy treat.  I haven't been able to keep any around long enough to get a snapshot.  After finding this recipe this spring I have made it a few times for different groups of people, and the whole pan disappears so fast!  I just made them again for Father's Day, where my daughter brought her new boyfriend.  He had never eaten rhubarb before and I think these bars sold him on this new vegetable because he ate three!  So you just have to trust me that they look good, and boy do they taste good!  I improved the original recipe quite a bit by decreasing the amount of sugar, increasing the amount of rhubarb, and using butter instead of shortening.  Try this spring treat, the rhubarb is still thriving out there!

RHUBARB OAT BARS

Filling:
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
4 cups fresh rhubarb, cut up
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Crust:
1-1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I have used both walnuts and pecans, and the bars were delicious with each)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Filling:  Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan and cook until thick, stirring often.  8-10 minutes.

Crust:  Mix all ingredients in a bowl until crumbly.  Pat three quarters of the mixture into an un-greased 9x13 inch baking pan.  Pour the rhubarb mixture over the crust (it's fine to do this while the filling is hot).  Top with remaining crumb mixture.

Bake 30-35 minutes.

Cool before cutting into bars.  Or you can spoon it out hot and serve with ice cream or whipped cream for a crumble dessert.  Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 16 bars.

 

1 comment:

Material Mary said...

Can't wait to give these a try....I will however, have to beg some rhubarb off you to make them :).
Mary