Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

Apple-Raisin Bran Muffins

This winter I've been paying more attention to what I eat - guess it's time to get more "mindful" about such things.  So there's been less pie and more high fiber/nutritious food being made around here.  My favorite breakfast lately has been a bran muffin.  Gosh, I must be getting old!  I have been making and freezing the Raisin Bran muffins I posted a few months ago, which I can grab and quickly microwave in the morning.  Then I found another muffin version which is my new favorite.  The original recipe came from a box of Western Family brand Raisin Bran cereal.  These also freeze beautifully and microwave from frozen to "oven fresh" in about 30 seconds.

Apple-Raisin Bran Muffins

Makes about 18 muffins

1 1/2 cups raisin bran cereal (if you don't like raisins, use plain bran cereal)
2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large or 2 small apples, peeled and chopped finely (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin pans with nonstick spray.  Combine the cereal, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla and let stand for 10 minutes.  Stir to break up the cereal, then stir in the apples and nuts.  In a separate bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.  Add the cereal mixture all at once to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened, it will be a thick batter.  Spoon into the muffin pans and bake 16 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on rack. 

No comments: