Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Moist and Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake

Yesterday was my husband's birthday.  And it came on a day with a nip of Autumn in the air.  The mountains outside the window are accented with red and orange and temperatures are definitely cooler.  He really likes the smells and flavors of Fall (apple, pumpkin, spice) so I wanted to honor "his" season with an appropriate cake.  I had some leftover pumpkin in the fridge from something I made last week, so started looking for pumpkin cake recipes.  The internet is overflowing with recipes for pumpkin muffins and pumpkin bread, but pumpkin CAKE seemed to be lacking.  Finally I found a  recipe that called for adding pumpkin and instant pudding mix to a cake mix.  This sounded good....except for the addition of even more sugar and chemicals to a mix.  I decided to try just adding the pumpkin to a cake mix.  Ding, ding, ding - it was a winner!  Here's the cake and how I made it (it seriously couldn't be easier or tastier!):


Moist and Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake

1 spice cake mix (I used the cheapie store brand)
1 cup pureed pumpkin
eggs, oil and water as specified on the cake mix box
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch cake pans (I used 8 inch square pans) and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Blend all ingredients on low speed until moistened, then mix on medium speed for two minutes.
  • Divide batter evenly between the two cake pans, then bake for 30 minutes or until done.
  • Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then tip out.  Frost with maple buttercream icing when cooled.

Everybody at the party loved this cake.  It took all my willpower to eat only one piece.  So easy and soooo yummy!

1 comment:

Material Mary said...

The cake was delicious and is a winner...
Mary