Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sour Cream Lemon Pie

On Monday I was getting ready to do the weekly grocery shopping and feeling uninspired about what to plan for dinner when a friend mentioned having had fettuccine alfredo at The Olive Garden over the weekend.  This is an easy dish to make so I immediately latched on to the idea of  making it with chicken, broccoli and sauteed mushrooms.  It also reminded me of my last visit to The Olive Garden, when I tried a new little dessert they had.  It was a lemon dessert served in something resembling a shot glass and was the perfect ending to a pasta meal.  I didn't know how to make that dish, but I did have some fresh lemons in the fridge.  I also had sour cream.  So I made this luscious Sour Cream Lemon Pie.


This pie is so yummy, I don't know why I don't make it more often.  It's probably time to remedy that situation!

SOUR CREAM LEMON PIE


9 inch pie crust - baked


1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup milk
juice of one large lemon
3 eggs yolks, beaten slightly
1/4 cup butter
zest of one large lemon
1 cup sour cream (do not use low fat or fat-free sour cream in this recipe)



  • Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
  • Stir in the milk, lemon juice and egg yolks.  Cook over medium heat until it thickens, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat and stir in the butter and lemon zest.
  • Cool slightly.
  • Fold in the sour cream.
  • Spread the filling in the crust and refrigerate at least two hours.  It's even better if you can let it set up in the fridge overnight.
  • Top with sweetened whipped cream.

No comments: