Another thing I tried differently this time was using milk instead of water in making the crust. It turned out great - but not really different from my usual pastry making method. So here's my new and original recipe for Apple-pear pie. We liked it!
Alissa's Apple-Pear Pie
1 recipe double crust pastry
3 apples; peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3 pears; peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small chunks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a deep dish pie pan with pastry.
- Mix together remaining ingredients except butter, pour into pie pan and pat down with your hands. Dot with the butter.
- Cover with top pastry, flute edges and cut in steam vents.
- I like to brush the top with ice water then sprinkle on coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes, or until crust is golden and fruit is tender.