Pastry for a double crust pie
1 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons instant tapioca
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup fresh blackberries
3 cups peeled and sliced apples
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Mix together the sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the berries and apples to the bowl and gently stir to cover with the sugar mixture, being careful not to break up the blackberries. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line pie pan with half the rolled out pastry, and spoon the fruit into the pan. Dot with the butter and cover with the top pastry. Crimp edges and cut vents into the crust. I like to brush the top with ice water then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 425 degrees, then turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes more (until juices are bubbling and apples are tender).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. We loved this pie with vanilla ice cream.