Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumb Pie
1 unbaked deep dish pie crust
3 cups fresh rhubarb stalks sliced 1/2 inch thick
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups hulled and halved fresh strawberries
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
Cornmeal Crumb Topping
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss well to mix, then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the strawberries and tapioca to the bowl and toss well. Scrape the filling into the pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and mix with a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor). Once the mixture resembles fine crumbs, rub between your fingers to make large buttery crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove the pie from the oven and reduce the temperature to 375 degrees. Carefully dump the crumbs in the center of the pie, spreading them evenly over the surface with your hands. Tamp them down gently. Return the pie to the oven and bake until the juices bubble thickly around the edge, 30 - 40 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 1 hour before serving. This pie is great served slightly warm with vanilla ice cream.
- It's a good idea to put a large aluminum baking sheet under this pie while baking, as it is beautifully juicy and sometimes bubbles over.