Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year

It's 2008. I remember when I was in elementary school and there was talk about "the year 2000" - always with futuristic, science fiction undertones. I calculated how old I would be when the new millennium hit, and realized that I would be 38 years old! Then I figured I probably wouldn't be around for 2000, seeing as I would be so elderly and all.

A lot of my fantasies about the 2000's actually turned out to be true. We have so much technology that was seriously in the realm of science fiction when I was a kid - my computer and cell phone are far superior to what Star Trek was coming up with.

For my future I envisioned that I would either be a glamorous, single, famous author or a beautiful mommy with an adoring husband spending my life creating and maintaining a beautiful home. Neither of those happened. Not even close. So now I don't really think about what the future will hold. I've been around long enough to know that even the "best laid plans" rarely work out the way I expect so there isn't any point in laying any plans or dreaming any dreams.

It will be interesting to see what 2008 will bring. I know what I want to see happen, but since I won't get what I hope or want I hope that good surprises will outnumber the inevitable disappointment and pain.

No comments: